Dental hygiene tips for people with Alzheimer’s
People with Alzheimer’s disease may need some help with basic grooming and dressing tasks, including taking care of their teeth and mouth. As a caregiver, you can help! Show the person how to brush their teeth step-by-step, but let them do as much as they can. Help the person with tasks like cleaning dentures and make sure they visit a dentist regularly.
Here are more tips to help a person with Alzheimer’s care for their teeth and mouth:
- Show the person how to brush their teeth step-by-step
- Brush your teeth at the same time
- Help the person clean their dentures
- Ask the person to rinse their mouth with water after each meal
- Take the person to see the dentist regularly
For more guidance, check out this tip sheet from the National Institute on Aging.