7 questions to ask about end-of-life healthcare decisions
If you are faced with making healthcare decisions for someone who is dying and no longer able to make his or her own decisions, ask the medical staff these seven questions:
- What is the care plan? What are the benefits and risks?
- How often should we reassess the care plan?
- If we try using the ventilator to help with breathing and decide to stop, how will that be done?
- If my family member is dying, why does he or she have to be connected to all those tubes and machines? Why do we need more tests?
- What is the best way for our family to work with the care staff?
- How will I make sure to get daily updates on my family member’s condition?
Learn more about understanding end-of-life healthcare decisions at the National Institute on Aging's website.